Itchy feet

It didn’t take long but that strange feeling of not having any DIY or decorating to do has turned into a mad discussion of “perhaps we could just redecorate the spare room, it won’t take long…”

Since finishing the lounge our (what seemed endless at the time) list of house jobs has seriously shrunk, we’re at a stage where we now need to bring in the ‘professionals’ (loosely translated as my little brother) for the last big project – replacing all the doors – inside and out, but we’re now looking at some of the rooms we did early on in a hurry (and with a very small budget) with a critical eye. One of our pet hates has been our guest bedroom. It’s the second largest bedroom and in context of the rest of the house, when we first moved in wasn’t in too bad a state. Ok so the walls were covered in some ghastly wallpaper, which once removed left a mismatch of holes and plaster that needed sorting, but a weekend of sanding and filling and stripping back floorboards left us with a room that wasn’t in that bad a shape. We slapped on some paint and I made what was one of my first sets of practice curtains, job done. A week later we both hated the colour and faced with literally every other room to sort we just ignored it. The room doesn’t have a feature, we know there’s a covered up fireplace that eventually we’d like to uncover (but I’m working on the hubby to let me take a sledge-hammer to the one that’s covered up in the dining room first!) it’s just never really worked and we’ve never added those final touches to it.

So, my challenge last weekend, was to completely re-design it without breaking the bank. Without uncovering the fireplace, and not wanting to have a feature wall my thoughts were to make the window (and the view out across the garden and fields) the focal point. I was given a gorgeous remnant of Laura Ashley fabric (thanks Mum) which is just enough to make a roman blind and I’m going to make some floor length thin curtains to dress it. The new fabric works with the existing colour on the walls and completely changes my opinion of it. A bit of tinkering around with furniture from other rooms awaits this weekend and some accessorising and I’m hoping we’ll be pleased with the results. I’ll post some before and after shots next week and you can all tell me what you think…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s