This project has taken us months. I blogged some before pictures back in May, and at that stage we were probably a few months into the work. Mainly because we weren’t in a huge rush to do it as the little man has been happy in his current nursery, but we also needed to get a few trades in for jobs that were outside of our skills (largely plumbing!). My brother is a carpenter and yet again he’s been a huge help – brand new skirting board, plus refitting the door after the carpet was put down.
I had a vision in my head for how I wanted this room to look, more contemporary than some of our other rooms, as eventually if we get planning permission for the extension I think the house will gradually move towards that style. It needed to be something that would grow with him for a few years to come. He loves his books so I also knew I wanted to create an area where he could read, that’s where the teepee corner comes in.
My starting point was the feature wall, with that plan in my head I wanted to keep the rest of the room white (Farrow and Ball’s Wevet), which is quite unusual for me. Mr B kept looking at me like I had finally lost the plot when I covered the wall in masking tape to paint the mural. I used three colours for the mountains to give some variation, I took the design around the fireplace (which we’ve left covered up for now, we didn’t have the energy for that this time round, plus it leaves more room). I’m so pleased with the fabric, it took me ages to find something that would work with the scheme but I think the pattern goes perfectly with the mountains (it’s a Clarke & Clarke fabric called Brio). I interlined them to keep them looking full and decided in the end to just do a tape header, I had planned to do pinch pleats but it wouldn’t have looked right. The teepee is from the Great Little Trading Company and the storage units are Ikea. I will still need to add a few finishing touches such as floor cushions and some prints for the wall but it’s almost there and he loves it.